Monday, August 29, 2011

Letter from Marie Hart

Dear Andi,
I am writing you a letter in hopes to give you another glimpse of what your daddy is like.
I started hearing about him when I was in high school at Davis High around 1998 from my good friend, Katie Woolley (Gardner). She'd been friends with him since that time or maybe even a little before. All I ever heard about was how great he was and on and on. I graduated high school, went to Snow College with Katie and continued to hear about him. It wasn't until a New Year's Eve party in Ogden, UT somewhere on Harrison, that I first met him about 2001.
The first thing I remember about him was his huge smile, friendliness, and general approachability. He struck me as an excellent host and very social. I continued to hear about him when occasion would permit to see Katie. I went onto Nursing School and once I finished my RN I moved up to Ogden to live with your Mother and consequently on the same street your Dad lived on. Living this close put us in the same single's ward and I immediatley saw him one of the first Sundays after my move. I think we hung out a few times or just chatted a lot at church until I broke up with my now husband (long story) and Michael and I dated for all of a month or so. Things weren't going well and the long story short is that we decided to stop 'dating', although it was more of hanging out, which was most of the issue. Some background infomation on myself and my dating style is that I have never stayed in contact with guys I have dated; once I'm done I like to move on, otherwise we'd still be dating. Not with Michael. The next morning after our little argument he left a note on my car to the effect that he was very sorry and that he really valued our friendship, that he hoped our friendship could perservere. Well, this says volumes about the value your Dad holds to friendship, as well as his humility, sensitivity, and loyalty. I knew from that point on Michael was a friend I would have for the rest of my life.
It was through all this 'drama' I spoke with your Momma several times and we vehemently agreed moving on was the best thing for me. It was within a few months later your Mom and Dad got better acquainted and I frankly have always thought they were a better match. If anyone could get your Dad to get serious and pull out his best qualities, it was the personality of your Mom. They got married about a year later and I have always felt grateful to have amazing friends of mine marry each other.
During that time your Dad had to renew his Driver's License. He was taking the M-CAT to get into Medical School, and I don't know if he cut it himself, but he shaved all his hair on the top of his head, gelled up the sides to be very curly, and put blue hair coloring on the remaining hair for both the test and his DL picture. He came to church the next day with the same 'do' and said, trying to hide a smile, "I feel so shunned! No one seems to want to sit by me!" We all got a good laugh and I was proud to sit by him. We also took a snowboarding class together that semester and we had fun driving up to Powder Mountain together for several saturdays.
Fast forwarding to the Sealing of your parents. I had just gone through the temple for the first time three days before to go on a mission to New Jersey a month later, so their Sealing was the first I had ever witnessed. I had the expectation of feeling the Spirit, but got blown away by the sweetness, the witness of the power of the Sealing, the obvious feelings of love between your parents, and just the amazement that this is how families stay together forever! It was a wonderful day.

While I was on my mission shortly after I received letters from your Mom with little tidbits from your Dad as well. She said your Dad wanted to send me ice cream, but knew it would melt and so he had her send me a coupon for Dreyer's ice cream :) On their wedding registry at Target, Michael had fun putting ice cream, Depends, and all sorts of funny stuff on it. That was just Michael. They continued to write me and were great supporters to me.
I came home, got married pretty soon after and your parents were both there for my sealing and luncheon. True blue friends. Your Mom also threw me a baby shower for my twins less than two years later, oh, and she threw me a shower for getting married too!
Regretably, but how adulthood gets, Shawn and I only hung out with both of your parents a few times of the next few years. We came up for a New Year's Eve party and played games and they both stopped by shortly after our twins, Emma and Eli, were born, shocked at how small they were. We had your dad come check out our furnace last summer and I think that is the last time I saw him.
I was completely shocked and have been forever changed with the death of your father. No one was more full of life, hard-working, and loyal as your dad. He had the best smile, explosive laugh (and a laugh that bubbled as though a bigger one would come out anytime), and gave the best bear hugs, leaving no question that he truly cared. Despite the hard times, I have always known your Dad truly and unconditionally loves your Mother. As a friend you can get protective and I have never worried about your Mom being in your Dad's hands. His death has caused me serious reflection on what it means to be a truly and fiercely loyal wife, mother, sister, daughter, and friend. He has left me an example of that, as well as living life to the fullest, working hard, and being obedient to our Savior, Jesus Christ. I know it is because of Jesus Christ your family will be reunited, that your Dad will be resurrected and be made whole again, and that His love and yours are what have strengthened your Mom through the darkest hours and months of her life. Things haven't turned out for me to physically be friends with Michael for the rest of my life, but I know true friendships, along with family ones, will be regained and I look forward to receiving another bear hug from him and loyally reporting that I kept an eye on you and your Mom as best as I could. He is truly missed by so many.
Andi, you are so beautiful and I hope as the years go by you will get to know my twins and I better. We surely love your parents and look forward to getting to know you better as well. We love you and pray all these letters people are submitting will help you better know and be proud of where you come from and how to pattern your life. Happy 3rd birthday!!
Love,
Marie Hart Clayton

No comments: