Monday, August 29, 2011

Letter from Lor

Dear Andalyn,

Happy 3rd birthday! It is such an honor for me to be able to write down some of the great memories I have of your dad, Michael. I feel so lucky to have been included in his life, and I hope you know how much he loved you. You brought the greatest smile to his face. Watching him play with you was evident of his love for you. He was so proud of how cute, sweet, and funny you are. I know he continues to be so proud of you and your mom and all that you are doing and learning in your lives. You are so special and you have the greatest mother and father ever!
One of the greatest memories I have of your dad is that he had the ability to ALWAYS be happy. No matter what life brought to him, he dealt with it with a smile on his face. His happiness is what made Michael so likeable by so many people. He always had a smile on his face, and his laugh was contagious. He actually had the greatest smile ever—a smile that he passed on to you. And when I hear you laugh as you watch your movies, you remind me so much of your dad as he watched funny T.V. shows/movies. It was almost more fun to listen and watch him that it was to watch the movie!
Your cousins, Lydia, Spencer, Connor, and Chase LOVED playing with your dad. I think he really loved playing with them as well. They would always end up wrestling, and the boys couldn’t get enough of him. When Lydia was a bit younger, he was always willing to “pretend” something with her or just be silly with her—he was such a fun uncle to be around. He would also play with the kids as they got older—he had fun sledding with them at the cabin, playing Risk and letting Lydia take over the world, and having fun with them in the water while visiting the cabin. I have many cute pictures of your mom, your dad, and Lydia and Spencer when they were very young playing dress-up, playing at Farmington Pond, playing out in the backyard at Grandma’s house. We love these memories of Uncle Michael.
Your dad was always willing to help us. I often think of how he helped Gabe put rock on our house, late at night in the middle of the winter. He was a good sport about it and always brought a good sense of humor for Gabe. For weeks after, they’d joke about trying to find “just the right shape of rock” for certain spots—it was like putting a puzzle together with a thousand pieces to find. He made the job a lot more fun!
Some of my last memories of your dad were at the cabin in Bear Lake taking the Wave Runners out to North Beach for the first time. He was so excited as he drove with our family and you in your car seat in our Suburban on the way to launch them. As we backed in to the lake, your dad got on one Wave Runner and Gabe got on the other. We all watched out the back window as Gabe and your dad laughed and joked around as they backed off the trailer and got them started. Your were quite upset to let your daddy leave you in the car with us, so he kept calling to you and waving and making sure you could see him having fun. He took off on the Wave Runner with a big smile on his face and went as fast as he could go across the blue waters on his way to the beach. He couldn’t wait to give you a ride. I’ll also never forget watching him play with you on the beach that day, swinging you between him and your mom, and just loving watching how fun you were having in the messy sand.
Later that same day, your dad worked hard on the furnace downstairs at the cabin. He was getting it ready to install an air conditioner unit to keep us all cool when we visited. He was a VERY hard worker—hardly stopping for breaks. He did however listen in while the boys and I watched E.T. on the T.V. downstairs. He would poke his head around the closet door and laugh and smile at certain parts. I will ALWAYS think of your dad when I think about that movie! Your dad loved his music as well. I have several CD’s that he burned for me. I will always think of him when I listen to Michael Jackson!
One funny story that I think about often occurred on a Sunday as we were all visiting Grandma and Grandpa’s house in early June, 2010. Most of us were out in the backyard playing on the grass and jumping on the tramp. I was visiting with the neighbors, holding baby Noah, when Chase started telling me something. I was trying to ignore him, not wanting to be interrupted as I talked with someone else. He just kept talking, starting to talk more frantically. Finally I listened to what he was saying: “There’s a snake on the grass over there!” I looked over and saw a very large snake on the grass under the cherry tree, and screamed “there’s a snake!” Everybody ran over to see the big snake. The neighbor picked it up with a stick and put it out in the trees. During all of this, Gabe, Scott, Grandpa, and Michael were all out working on the Wave Runners in the driveway, so Chase and I immediately walked out to tell them all about the snake. Michael just LOVED this story as told by Chase. He kept asking Chase questions and laughing, “how big was it again Chase?” Chase would hold out his hands, each time getting a little bigger as he showed Michael how big the snake was. Chase loved all the attention he got from Michael that night, and I loved hearing Michael laugh at Chase about the snake!
As I have thought about your dad this past year, I have been so inspired to live my life “better.” Your dad had fun doing everything, whether it was at work or at play. He had so much personality! He was never shy about expressing his likes/dislikes, his talents, his interests, his abilities, his opinions, etc. There were so many things that he just LOVED, and he always made sure to be involved in the things he was passionate about. He seemed to really enjoy life, and all of the things that made life better. Because of him, I want to live happier and enjoy more of the things that I love. I am sure that he is sharing his enthusiasm with so many people who have also passed from this earth, and I know they are so glad to be with him.
Your dad was also such an amazing husband. He truly loved your mom, Lisa, and I was always so impressed the way he treated her. He was so romantic—expressing his love to her in so many different letters, poems, songs, etc. I probably know only a small bit of all the romantic things he did for her. He was very sensitive and had such a big heart. Words cannot even describe how much your mom has missed him in her life this past year.
As you know, your dad was a great guy. We miss him so much. He will always hold a place in our hearts and we know that someday we will all see him again. Families are definitely “forever,” and we know that your daddy can’t wait to be with you again.

Love,
your Aunt Lori

No comments: