Monday, August 31, 2009

just a thought...

This past week I've been thinking a lot about death. That's not terribly unusual for me. I don't necessarily think about it in a fearful sort of way, but I do think of it often. I think some of it has to do with Chris, but nevertheless...
I've been watching all the overplayed newscasts covering Ted Kennedy's death, and I can't help but think about all the overplayed coverage of Michael Jackson's death, and then the deaths of other famous people like Princess Diana. And the thoughts force me to pose the question, why do we wait until they're dead to love them?
I'm not saying this to eulogize the people I mentioned, I'm just saying this to make a general observation about human nature. Why is that when we hear of someone's death, we all of the sudden find time to think of that person, to open our hearts towards them, and to notice their wonderful qualities?
My reverie on the subject makes me wonder if maybe death wouldn't be so hard if we didn't wait until after someone passed on to realize how great they really were.
I know this isn't necessarily an original or profound thought, but I still hope to remember to cherish who I have while I have them.

3 comments:

Bethany said...

I heart you and your blog. Everything you do is art, Lis, and I hope you know what an angel you are! MUAH!

Anonymous said...

I completely agree. I have had the same thought, but you put it very eloquently. I believe you are a very special person who has the talent of cherishing those around you and helping people to feel that love. I have always been impressed by your ability to empathize...Can't wait to see you friday :) Love you! Murray

Justin said...

Good reminder, I agree.

ps. I am SO sorry I am SUCH a flake. I'm not normally one to forget but your bbq came in the middle of an insane week of drs visits. No excuse but I hope we can get together soon. I'd love to see your andi(and you)!
-Annie