Monday, August 31, 2009

fadin' out

Summer has always been such a busy time for us, so when it starts to fade, it isn't hard to notice how quickly life slows down.
School's back in session, so all our families are busy going to school, working at school, or taking kids to school. Less mid-week get-togethers. Less boating. Less parties and barbeques. Less trips to the cabin. Less girls camps, vacations, scout camps, and family reunions.
I've welcomed the change since I'm a person who likes routine and being home. But I do hate to see the summer fade. During the day the neighborhood is definitely quieter, school nights seem to quicken the setting of the sun, and as I pass by the schools with the full parking lots, I can't help but think my car belongs there. Once a teacher, always a teacher, I guess. Maybe one of these days I'll prepare a unit on "Hamlet" to teach to Andi and Harry. But I suppose I could enjoy a good read of Clifford the Big Red Dog even more.
Nevertheless, things are indeed fading. But with more than just the summer's end. My Young Women calling will be ending pretty soon, which kind of makes me sad. And I'm starting to think my days of reading essays at Weber are ending too. It has become inevitably difficult grading essays with a one-year old at my feet.
But perhaps these changes will bring exciting new things. Like Ute football games, Halloween costumes, autumn walks in the park with Andi and Harr, and maybe even some more tutoring students.
I know it's cheesy, but I'm mostly excited to just keep watching Andi grow. So happy we have her.
I'll end this with a few of my favorite pics from this last month.

No comments: