I always like to write down in a notebook my random thoughts as my days come and go.
Here are some of my thoughts as of late:
--I came across a quote I love. Can't remember if I already posted it, but it was said by John Wooden: "Young people need models, not critics." Just love that...I want to remember that in my parenting. My parents were always so good about that and I think it really makes a difference.
--Another quote I found: "If we participate in redemptive service to others, we can, in some small measure, repay Him for His blessings."
Often in my times of feeling indebted to my Heavenly Father, it's good to be reminded of this thought. It isn't a mystery what we can and should do.
--I get these letters from a friend and she said some things in one letter that I loved: "This past week I taught a lesson on the postmortal Spirit world. One of the references in the manual was back to the Gospel Doctrine Manual on the Teachings of Brigham Young. He had a quote that impressed me about this mortal life. He said that he often hears people ask why they cannot see and converse with those who have gone to the spirit world and he responds, 'It is not reasonable that you should, it is not right that you should; perhaps you would miss the very object of your pursuit if you had this privilege, and there would not be the same trial of faith to exercise you, not so severe a path of affliction for you to walk in, not so great a battle to fight, nor so great a victory to win, and you would miss the very object you are in pursuit of.'"
--One day when I was having a moment of feeling freaking inadequate I read the scripture that says, "I am encompassed about, because of the temptations and the sins which do so easily beset me. And when I desire to rejoice, my heart groaneth because of my sins; NEVERTHELESS I know in whom I have trusted. My God hath been my support." Those words just seem so perfectly suited to my thoughts. Nephi continues to say, "O Lord, wilt thou redeem my soul?...Yea, I know that God will give liberally to him that asketh."
--Last month after I did visiting teaching I wrote this down: "The message was about personal revelation. Been thinking/wondering a lot about that lately. There was a quote by Julie Beck about learning and listening to the Spirit of revelation and realizing that it's a skill. It's learned. And that the more you follow it or whatever thought or feeling it is, the more you learn to recognize it as the true Spirit. Another thing discussed today was about how close the spirit world is and how close our loved ones beyond the veil are to us. I needed to be reminded of that."
--I was with Mom and Marion one day and she expressed an analogy she once heard that says something like losing a spouse is like having a brick in your pocket--It's always there--Sometimes you get used to it and sometimes it can be pretty heavy to bear. Good to hear from Marion who has always been so positive in her loss.
--I heard somewhere that it's "more powerful to be trusted than to be loved." Love that.
That's it for now.
Monday, November 28, 2011
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
No comments:
Post a Comment