Monday, November 28, 2011

Dad

My Dad's birthday is November 1st. You may not believe it by looking at him, but this year he turned 73.
I have shared many a good conversation with my Dad this past year; He has been such a source of strength for me. I've never felt closer to him than I do now, and I'm grateful for that. He's always been a confidant to me, but as of late, he's become much more than that. He's been a voice of reason, a voice of wisdom, and even a voice of faith. He's helped me problem solve, he's encouraged positivity, and he's encouraged me to keep moving forward.
He's gone with me to many of my financial appointments and offered his valuable pieces of wisdom and guidance laced with a bit of humor. He's been by my side to make sure no one takes advantage of a young widow like me as I've had to deal with people like financial advisors, people who've done work on my house, and people who help me with my car. He's been the first one to offer trust and faith in me as I have made some pretty big decisions the past while. He's believed in me and that's made so much difference in my life.
He's helped me problem solve as I've dealt with selling my houses, buying a new car, and making decisions about school. He's shed tears with me as we've continously discovered and observed the lasting goodness of Michael's legacy. There are moments I've shared with him and conversations I've had with him this past year that I'm certain will not be forgotten. He's worked beside me....even harder than me...as we moved us from Ogden to Farmington. No small task. He'd make trips all by himself, time after time, to get yet another load moved. He helped me put sealant on my basement floor. He's cleaned up my yard with me, made several trips to the dump, filled his truck with fertilizer for my yard.
He often calls or stops by just to check up on me...make sure I'm okay. He adores our Andi girl-- He chases her around the house, he gives her shoulder rides, he tickles her and gives her that physical affection she's so missing out on due to Michael's absence. He's spent hours and hours and hours on the trampoline with Andi, watching her jump or wrestling her. He'll push her on the swing for an entire afternoon if she asks. He's done Princess puzzles with her. He's often assigned to play Strawberry Shortcake's best friend, Blueberry, while Andi takes the role of Strawberry. Dad will often tease her by asking her if he can "be Strawberry this time," and unsurprisingly, Andi always turns him down. She calls him "Pa" and it's such an appropriate nickname. He's come to my house on early mornings so I can go to class or whatnot--He'll bring his newspaper and his Coke and wait 'til Andi gets up. Andi knows that when Pa's around for breakfast, he'll be sure to make her pancakes, get her juice, and cut up fruit for her. She loves it! So much so that when I want to make her oatmeal, she'll say she wants to go to Grandpa's for breakfast instead.
It's true he has experience with little girls...I have a lot of wonderful memories with him as a kid. Like, a wonderful one is our bedtime routine when I was little. He'd snore on my bed and pretend to be asleep and I'd say, "You can't sleep here! You don't have your jammies on!" And he'd go through this same little script every night. And then I'd tell him to turn the "van" on. (the fan)
Throughout the last year, Dad has even managed to give Harry some love. It's pretty funny...I'm not sure Dad's always loved my dog, but he sure has been nice to him this last year or so. Dad puts up with his snoring as Harry sleeps on his bed. Dad will often be the one to retrieve Harry when he's outside and won't come in. Michael used to be the only one that Harry would immediately listen to and obey, but now that person is Dad. I think it's kinda' funny when I hear Dad yellin' at Harry to "get in here" or to "Come on, Harry!" I especially get a kick out of the memories Dad and I have made together as we've had to hose Harry down after he's been rolling in deer poop. Time and time and time again. Good times. Dad has always been the kind of dad that exemplifies the phrase, "Once a parent, always a parent." He's done more than that.

1 comment:

Stevenson Family said...

You're parents are amazing. I'm so glad you all have eachother. The memories you've recounted are so sweet. It's always been obvious that you were greatly loved! My parents said they saw you at Nutcracker and though I wished I had seen you, it was fun to talk about how strong and beautiful we all think you are! Take care Lis!