Sunday, May 23, 2010

Nicholas Luke Griffin

My favorite second-to-oldest sister, Lori, had her 5th child (4th boy), a couple of weeks ago. Here are some pictures of him--less than 12 hours after his birth.
She was going to name him Brock but changed it to Nicholas at the last minute. I think she was leaning toward that name all along. I like it; I think it fits him and it fits Lori.
Lori went into labor a week early. It was kind of funny--On a typical Sunday when we were all gathered at Mom and Dad's for dinner, Lori at nine-months pregnant claimed she thought she had another week. That night, just an hour or so after we all parted from Mom's, she was putting Lydia to bed when her water broke.
Mom, Leslie, and I exchanged phone calls well into the night, wanting to hear of any news. He was born at 1:30 a.m. or so, and it sounds like he came pretty easily.

A week or so later, Lor had to be admitted into the hospital for a uteral infection she had developed. It was kind of scary; you could tell she felt really sick. A couple of days spent in the hospital later, (all while dealing with the drama of who's going to watch all the kids and run the house and do everything else Lori does), she came home feeling much better.

To me, Lori's been a mom her whole life. When I was young, I often referred to her as my second mom. She was also a much desired baby-sitter in our ward. Many families loved her. And I can't blame them. Lori's always been very conscientious and motherly.
I came to her for everything.
I'd often cry for "Loy" or "Larry" (and she'd often correct me: "My name is NOT "Loy!") I remember when I had a bloody chin that needed stitches--I passed my own mom's open arms and headed for "Loy."
She played Barbies with me endlessly. When the day finally came that she wasn't interested in playing Barbies anymore, I cried so hard. I lost my best playmate.
She taught me how to clean and organize. I remember one Saturday she decided my room needed some serious cleaning. And she was right. The drawers, the closet, even under the bed....I had serious clutter issues. I also had a really stinky hamster cage she was forced to clean.
She taught me how to work out and stay fit. She used to have me go running, walking, or biking with her. We'd climb the hills of our neighborhood, talking the whole time. The best, though, was when we'd do our Jane Fonda video together. We couldn't make it through without laughing hysterically. (What kind of women wear leatards like that, and how the heck are you supposed to put your butt above your head like that?)
Lori's always had her head on straight. She's a hard worker, and she's managed to pave a great life for her and her family. I am so proud of her and proud to call her my sister. I always like bragging about my sisters. They're the best.
So anyway, way to go, Lor, on bringing Baby #5 into the world! You're a natural mom!

No comments: