
True to Luke form, Mom didn't want her entire family to come and make a huge thing of it. But I was glad we insisted that at least some of us go. It was a really neat thing to see. Her coworker, former principal, and district leader all spoke very highly of her. They said if there was one word to describe her, it's "nice." They said how she's so understanding with her students and that she's always willing to work with them, make exceptions, and help them achieve their best. They said how committed she is to her job--That she shows up even on her hardest of days, and when she can't, she's sure to be there early in the morning or late at night preparing for a sub.
Since Dad was also at the party, and since so many people know of both of my parents, they talked about him too. Mom's principal talked about how losing Mom and Dad in the district is like losing two redwood trees that stand strong amongst the rest. I thought that was a nice analogy.
Everyone knows Mom and Dad in the district, and Mom and Dad know everyone. Ever since I can remember, dinnertime conversations always included the "latest" about other teachers and people within the district. They always had something to say about the happenings, challenges, and people.
It's so strange both Mom and Dad won't be a part of all that anymore. I really believe they've created great names for themselves over the years. They were both great people for students to work with. They've always been very understanding and empathetic professionals who each taught me a lot about what it takes to be a good teacher.
Pretty soon, here's what mom's going to be doing a lot more of:

I can't wait...and neither can Andi!
I've seen the dedication she's had for her job, and I'm so proud of all the "blood, sweat, and tears" she's put into it over the years. I hope I can end my profession as positively as she is. Way to go, Mama!
1 comment:
How exciting that both of your parents are retired! I bet it is bittersweet for your mom, but great for you that she has more free time. I can't wait until my own mom retires (3 more years), and then she can hang out with me all the time :)
Yep, I'm going to the reunion, since we're coming to Utah for the week before the 4th of July - are you?
Post a Comment