Tuesday, March 14, 2017

Twelve Years

This week on St. Patrick's Day will mark 12 years since Michael and I were engaged.  March 17th will always be a special day to me.
As a part of my current church calling, I attended a class last week entitled, "Healing From Trauma." Through the continual process of grieving over Michael's loss, I have certainly developed a few opinions about what person needs to survive and thrive after trauma and so many of those opinions were validated during that class.  So while I have wished our life together would have ended so very differently, I am grateful for all the journey has taught me so far.
On this note, I wrote a poem recently regarding this very topic of overcoming hardship and trying to learn something along the way:

It Is What It Is

“It is what it is,” the broken girl said
As she voiced her reality to us.
We sat in that circle and shared our misfortunes
And I felt a relief in the sadness.
The sound of our bitterness and broken insides
Was so often elsewhere unwelcome.
But together we found love and release--
God’s healing balm of compassion. 

As time carried on, scant patience was found
No mercy in our steeled world is given. 
I longed for that circle to help me feel love
I longed for the balm of compassion.
My pursuit became large as I searched all around
For a moment’s relief from the sadness.
But in it I found a strength from within
A license to support my own essence.

“It is what it is,” I’d say to myself,
Envisioning that broken girl in my mind.
The memory of her eyes looking down
Again helped me grasp more acceptance.
Yes, my heart hurt and the troubles were real
For life had joined burdens with burdens.
But I learned vision and love for myself and my God
Were my new life’s tasks and mission.





No comments: