Last night I went to the MoTab Christmas concert with my dad, and being there reminded me of memories with Michael there that I've probably already written down somewhere, but just want to write them down again anyway.
I was thinking of when Michael and I broke up during our dating stretch. It was from October to December. When he took me out on our first date after the break up, we doubled with Isaac to a Thai or Japanese or some Asian restaurant (forgive me, I know they're very different), and then Michael and I drove to temple square. He and I sat in the car, right in view of the temple's Christmas lights, and he told me he wanted to start dating seriously. I remember feeling really feisty with him that night and I just told him straight up that if he wasn't in it for the real thing, I was ready to walk away. It was a cold night and he had his gloves on. I remember him putting those gloved hands in mine and giving me that tender look that I so distinctly remember. From that night on, we both knew we'd get married. I love remembering those sweet times when he'd be so tender and sincere with me. It was one of my favorite parts about him.
Also, as I was sitting in the conference center last night, I was reminded of one year when my sisters, their husbands, and my parents went to the MoTab Christmas concert when Sissel was guest of honor. She's a lady from Norway and my brother really came to love her music when he served his mission there. This was the year after Chris died, so it was kind of a bittersweet evening. And Michael was just so kind and sensitive about it. There was a huge snowstorm that night and I ended up getting separated from everyone on our way back to the car. Michael was so cute and got all worried. I waited at the car forever for them to come, and finally they all came, drenched in snow. Michael was so mad at me and Leslie thought it was so funny.
The last Christmas before Michael died, Michael and I bought my parents tickets again to the MoTab Christmas concert. That year it was with Natalie Cole and we knew they'd want to go. We went to the Sunday morning concert. We dropped Andi off at Cathi's and ended up being late (nothing unusual for us) when we arrived at my parents' house that morning. My parents were pretty tense about it. Michael ended up dropping me and my mom off at the front of the Conference Center, and then Dad and Michael quickly parked and literally ran in their Sunday shoes and suits to get to the concert on time. Between the snowstorm and our lack of punctuality that morning, I was stressed and worried. But Michael didn't give up on the morning. He stayed positive and was so kind to my parents. On our way home, we talked about my dad's family and Michael showed a lot of kindness and interest.
So grateful for these good memories.
When I was standing in line to go to yet another MoTab Christmas concert with my dad last night, I noted that Michael would've loved to come again this year. In response, my dad reminisced on how Michael was open to do all sorts of things...how he loved just going out, being with family, and trying new things. So very true.
Another Christmas is approaching...another Christmas without him here. Even though my life is much different now, I still have moments when I can't believe he's not here . How grateful I have memories to bring some measure of joy to an aching heart.
Friday, December 13, 2013
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
No comments:
Post a Comment