I came across a poem that reminds me of my own journey. I often wonder, especially after losing Michael, how I can serve God best...."how my light is spent," so to speak.
This poem reminds me, though, that it isn't all about all the accomplishments of life that are done to serve God. Part of serving God just might be "standing and waiting." ....A very applicable statement when it comes to having faith and moving forward, especially when you grieve and miss someone so very much. ...When you lament over lost opportunities, lost hopes.
So here it is--John Milton's "On His Blindness":
When I consider how my light is spent
Ere half my days in this dark world and wide,
And that one talent which is death to hide
Lodg'd with me useless, though my soul more bent
To serve therewith my maker, and present
My true account, lest he returning chide,
"Doth God exact day-labour, light denied?"
I fondly ask. But Patience, to prevent
That murmur, soon replies: "God doth not need
Either man's work or his own gifts: who best
Bear his mild yoke, they serve him best. His state
Is kingly; thousands at his bidding speed
And post o'er land and ocean with out rest:
They also serve who only stand and wait."
Saturday, November 2, 2013
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
No comments:
Post a Comment