Thursday, January 14, 2010

New Years at the Cabin

My sisters and their families all gathered at the cabin for the 2010 celebration. We thought it'd be a great place to celebrate the new year, and it was.
I have found that with each journey to the cabin, the same pattern recurs. On our way up there, I'm stressed and tired because of all the preparations I have made. But on our way back home, I hate leaving the place behind. My heart is always so full of gratitude for the fun time we had and for the wonderful place we have to gather. It's a beautiful place and a perfect spot for a getaway. Michael and I have so far enjoyed the cabin mostly because it's a great place to relax and be away from our "to do" lists. We can do whatever we want there, whether that be allowing ourselves the pleasure of pure indulgence or going out and having fun with family and with our baby girl.
The first night we were there, I came down with a horrible case of a sour stomach, so I ended up in bed for a while. Once that passed, though, here are some things we did--

--Hung out in our jammies:












--Celebrated Gabe's birthday:











--Adored our cute Andi in her new Christmas outfits (this one was from Joann--so cute):














--Bundled up and went sledding a few times (Next time, though, we'll have better snow clothes for Andi and a sled of our own!)














--Played Risk--Michael's idea of heaven:











--Put together the long-awaited Chris shelf that Les and Lor and I have been planning to do:














Chris loved Bear Lake, so having some of his precious mementos up there seemed fitting. Just as it is with every moment of reminiscing about Chris, putting the shelf together proved difficult but inspiring. Every time I think of him I feel more inspired to keep his memory alive and to remember what he taught me in my life. Both while living and while dead, he reminds me that, as Charles Dickens said, "A loving heart is the truest wisdom." I miss my bro. I'm so glad I have another place to go to that reminds me so much of him.












Happy New Year~

No comments: