For one thing, I now know that letting my dog sit on my lap while driving should not be allowed. Little Harry jumped out of our moving vehicle last Thursday night while we were driving to the store. It played out like this: Harry jumped on my lap. He then proceeded to roll down the window with his paws (a recently acquired skill), and not a moment later, he saw a cat and effortlessly leaped out the window towards the feline. It was as if Harry forgot he was in a car. A moving car, no less. So, after I immediately screamed and pulled over, I discovered my little baby in the middle of the street, holding up his paw and crying. I know all those dog haters out there won't understand what I'm about to say, but it was a heart wrenching moment. He has been a best friend for me in my life, a very special soul that has come to mean the world to me. Seeing him there incited visions of having to rush him to the vet, only for the vet to say he wouldn't be able to save him. In that moment of panic, though, I soon discovered that it looked as if he was actually ok. He got a big gash above his eye and a really sore leg and body, but he survived. I am so grateful. From that experience I reiterate that I now know that Harry does not belong on the drivers seat. I also know that I was blessed.
So what else do I know? These past weeks have taught me much about being a mom. I now know that having a burp cloth in my immediate vicinity is a must. I now know that attempting to accomplish the same amount of tasks now as I did before a child is impossible and unnecessary. I know my baby goes first. She goes first even when I'm tempted to put her down and pick a fight with Michael :), or when I'm tempted to put her in her swing while I vacuum (sometimes a must, but not always), or when I'm tempted to haul her around with me another day from one place to the next. All these temptations lead me to once again hearing that voice in the back of my head that says to let the other stuff go because it's all just trivial stuff that won't matter a week from now.
One more thing I've learned--
Little Andalyn is really fun to dress up.
Michael and I had to dress up for the Young Women/Young Men costume party last week, so we decided to be Lucy and Ricky. Andalyn was little Ricky, of course. She also makes a great University of Utah cheerleader. She attended her first U game with her mom, dad, and the Luke family on Saturday. Michael got her a "U" cheerleading dress with matching socks and all. She was decked out for the party, and believe me, it WAS a party!!
Until then, here's to golden trees and 60 degree weather!
1 comment:
Lisa,
You inspire me. I will get there someday. To everything there is a season. Love the dress up.
Post a Comment