Tuesday, July 22, 2008

Gains and losses...

The way I see it, our life right now can be boiled down to a simple a matter of losses and gains.
Many gains, no doubt. We've gained a lot of valuable family time lately.
We went to Eden for a few days with my family and took advantage of our new boat. Of course, when leaving for this little excursion, Michael had to make the decision to give up his free tickets to the new Batman movie. I know that was at first seen as a huge loss, but by the end of the trip, I think he saw it as a gain as he was able to wakeboard and get in some fun water time.
We then had Michael's family over to our house and celebrated Bethany's engagement and Isaac's return from Spain.
Michael and I spent our Sunday together watching movies and putting up our baby bassinet.
Oh, and Michael's friends and their wives threw us a "shower" this past weekend, which was really fun, so we gained some good bonding time with the "boys" and their families.
Michael's been keeping busy with work, which is good, as money tends to be an asset in life. So we've gained in that aspect as well, and can only hope we will continue to keep afloat in that department. We were particularly appreciative of a phone call from his boss today that gave Michael a "two-thumbs up" on his work lately. I've got quite the salesman of a husband.
I've also gained weight. That's definitely a gain. I suppose I'm supposed to be heavier since I am 36 1/2 weeks along, but I can't help but drag my feet about it the whole way. (The whole way as I'm shoveling ice cream in my mouth.)
In addition, I've gained more than what I consider my share of discomforts the past few weeks. Like, sitting in the heat at Girls Camp. Developing another set of hemorrhoids. Watching my feet and legs grow exponentially swollen throughout the hot days.
As far as the losses go, well...
Michael lost his entire big toenail yesterday. Poor baby. He dropped an AC on his foot. Two shots in the toe, a bandage, and a Lortab later, he's doing fine. I particularly enjoyed him on Lortab last night. He was very pleasant.
Harry is starting to feel the loss of attention as we focus more on baby preparations. I worry a lot about him and hope he can adjust with a crying baby in my arms. I imagine it won't be any too easy. But I freakin' love the dog, so somehow I'm going to find a way to make what may seem like a terrible loss to Harry, a big gain.
And as far as Michael's concerned, I think he feels a loss of space for himself as he watches more rocking chairs, bassinets, swings, and baby supplies fill up our little house. I imagine it's also a little hard to give all the attention to a belly-achin' wife (literally) and what seems at this point to be a fictional creature that's somehow supposed to take over his entire life pretty soon.
As I am approaching the end of this pregnancy, I have my own losses to voice as well. I mean, the sudden and unexpected bouts of crying, the inability to be private about my body (at the doctor's, of course, but even just in real life as I strut around with a belly button the size of a human head), the maternity swimming suits, and the continual trips and falls I seem to be succumbing to as I clumsily make my way around.
But with all these losses we see happening before us, I know we will gain more than we could ever imagine. And that's why I say that our life can be boiled down to a simple matter of gains and losses. Because yes, there are some bad losses and even bad gains happening. No doubt that along with all I've mentioned, we'll experience the upcoming loss of sleep. The loss of freedom on nights when we just want to be left alone to relax. The loss of time. The loss of money. No doubt the losses are there. And one can't ignore the dreadful gains of the extra fat on our bodies, the more things in life that demand our attention, and the more pressures of everyday life. But they say life's a trade off. And I'm confident we're makin' a good trade.
In the meantime, I hope my brother Chris has prepared our little girl before she's about to make her big entrance. I bet he told her all about the Lukes, and about how she especially needs to take care of her grandma and grandpa.
Until then...

1 comment:

Stevenson Family said...

So cute Lisa. Loved it. You have a lucky little girl...I bet she's thrilled to finally be with you(again).