I can still tell you a lot about them. I haven't forgotten much. And I still really like 'em, even though I don't listen to them as much as I did as a teen. They're nostalgic to a lot of people, and even they are even to me, in my own way.
That interest was the beginning of my intrigue with the British. I took a lot of British literature courses in college and I loved them. I loved learning about the arts of England in my art history classes. I taught The Once and Future King to my sophomore students and I really enjoyed that and got into it. And just as a lot of American women, I've loved watching coverage on Prince William and the entire British monarchy's drama. The Olympics were especially intriguing this year to me, being that they were in London. I love the way the British speak, and I love the formality of it all. I love the hats, the castles, you name it.
Needless to say, I've wanted to visit England for a long time. I told Eric that's next on my wish list of where to visit. My question is, where would I start? Going over there, there must be so many wonderful places to visit.
I mostly say that because now I have another place I want to see in England: Highclere Castle. It's the place that my new favorite show is filmed, "Downton Abbey." I know the show is becoming cliche. I know a lot of people like it. But I don't care. I adore it. It's been so fun watching all the episodes, in spite of the sometimes morbid drama it portrays. I obviously like it because it appeals to my British interest, but I also love history (I regret not getting a history minor.) The "roaring twenties," the time period in which it takes place, reminds me of one of my favorite books, The Great Gatsby. The whole thing is so fun.
So, a visit to England is most definitely on my bucket list. Thanks to "Downton" for reminding me of that. :)
No comments:
Post a Comment