Tuesday, March 9, 2010

Michael


"It's just about having someone to sit with at the breakfast table and have a cup of coffee with and talk about nothing and everything.....That’s a stubborn, consistent human need.”



This quote reminded me of my Michael. I am so grateful to have him to share a cup of our version of "joe" with and talk about "nothing and everything" with him.
We don't always see each other or communicate as much as I'd like, but when we do, I am reminded of that "stubborn, consisitent human need" to connect with each other. And I am so so grateful I have him to connect with.

Michael and my favorite pasttime is to watch movies together. I'll be honest in saying that I am not half as much of a movie buff as he is, and that sitting down to watch a movie is sometimes the last thing I want to do. But when I sit down with Michael to do so, it always ends up a positive experience. For one thing, it gives us a chance to just SIT. For another, I can cuddle with him. (MY favorite pasttime) And for another thing, watching movies for some reason always sparks good conversation amongst us.
For instance, I loved watching Silverado with Michael the other night because I learned so much about Michael as a child. Apparently it was his favorite movie as a kid, so as we watched it, he told me a lot about his childhood, why he liked the movie, and what he remembers about it.
It's moments like that that make me think about marriage and how it gets better as you go. This quote says it so well:
“We, having elevated the idea of romance and infatuation to such a high state, feel like the happiest day of your life should be the day you get married. That in itself should be the pinnacle. What the Websters probably knew, even to such an extent that they certainly never defined it, never even had to say it, because they just knew it, was that where a marriage begins is not nearly as important as where it ends up. You can begin from a place of great pragmatism and then over the years grow into a very deep, wordless affection and loyalty, which I found very moving to remember."
(I can't remember who said it, but I found it in a book I'm reading called Readings for Writers.)

That's it for now.

Perhaps I can read this post when I'm not feeling so cheery about marriage. :)

1 comment:

Stevenson Family said...

Enjoyed your posts, like always. I've always liked those self-help books and your blog is inspiring in a similar way. Not that they're for me, but I enjoy them so thanks!